Friday, June 17, 2016

Five Things


Popping in to share a few of the recipes, articles, and ideas that have been on my mind lately.  
  • It took me years to get the hang of pan-frying tofu, and it is still kind of the bane of my existence.  To get a crispy crust on more than one side, I inevitably flip every single stinking piece of it by hand, and while the end result is tasty and fabulous, I'm not certain that the searing pain in my fingertips is worth the hassle.  Last week, I tried a Baked Tofu recipe from Food 52, and it was outrageously easy and perfect.  This week, I had great luck with the same marinade and baking method, and served the tofu in a Thai Curried Noodle dish.  Next time, I plan to toss the marinated tofu in nutritional yeast and bake it for The Grit's Golden Bowl recipe.  New favorite cooking method, for sure.
  • Have you ever brushed your teeth with activated charcoal?  Rubbing black stuff into your teeth doesn't sound like a good idea at all, I know, but I've been reading about it for a while now and when a sample of Smart Ash (man, I dig that name) made its way into my hands, I couldn't wait to try it.  The process takes a little getting used to, and it makes a colossal mess, but after using it for a week, I am super pleased with how much whiter my teeth have become.  I only use it in the evenings, and continue to use the Doterra On Guard toothpaste in the morning, but I can see making the activated charcoal an occasional (weekly?) part of my personal care routine.  Also, THE NAME.  It cracks me up every time I see Smart Ash in print.  It's like it was designed for me.
  • Last weekend, I took a workshop on the Art of Storytelling taught by a filmmaker from 1504, and one of the short documentaries we watched was America's Boulevard - a fascinating look at the process of creating and installing a massive mural in Chattanooga, TN in an ambitious attempt at urban renewal.  The film itself is only about 20 minutes long, but it is riveting to watch a group of white Northerners swoop into a predominantly black neighborhood in the South and absolutely succeed at bringing the community together to support and help create what became one of the five largest murals in the country.  We will be heading to Chattanooga for Labor Day weekend, and I plan to re-watch the documentary with the children before we go so that they have the sociological context before we seek out the mural in person.
  • This Huffington Post article, The Best 10 Nutrition Tips From Registered Dietician Nutritionists, is one of the most sensible pieces of nutrition journalism I've seen in mainstream media in quite a while.  My favorite tip?  "One meal won't 'make' or 'break' your health." My personal nutritional philosophy is to eat super clean about 80% of the time.  That way, if I go out occasionally and eat a loaded tofu dog with a greasy, DELICIOUS side of fries (ahem, like I did on Tuesday evening), then it's no big deal.  And if I have a green smoothie for breakfast and a giant salad for lunch, but then I eat a plate of pasta for dinner?  Again, No Big Deal.  
  • I fell down the Bullet Journal rabbit hole recently, and I am so in love with the process.  Bullet journaling, if you are unfamiliar, is in essence a DIY day planner system.   Mine is very simple for right now, and I am having a blast adapting it to my needs.  If you are interested in getting started, but are completely intimidated by the absurd amount of websites devoted to it, I recommend starting with this post by Boho Berry (be sure to watch the short video by the creator of the Bullet Journal - it is embedded in the aforementioned post).  Then, if you're still interested, just dive right down the rabbit hole.  I have compiled some of my favorite Bullet Journal posts and pages in a special board over on Pinterest.  One caveat: if you like being told what to do, you might be happier with a pre-packaged planner (in which case, please let me steer you towards the Best Self Journal), but if you're the type who prefers to forge her own way in the world, and bristles when told how things are supposed to be done (raises hand), then bullet journaling just might change your life.
I hope you have a great weekend.  I am going to spend this evening practicing stand up paddle board yoga (bucket list item) at a local lake, and I am beside myself with anticipation.  
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments: