For dinner, since we still had plenty of leftovers of Baked Ziti with Peppers, I focused on dessert (always a sure route back into The Carnivore's good side). I had planned to make a Peanut Butter Pie, but didn't realize until too late that The Carnivore had eaten all of the cookies that I needed to make the crust with. Alas. In lieu, though, I pulled out my recipe for Cream Cheese Brownies. I cut this recipe out of a Family Circle magazine a few months ago, though I'm not sure which issue it was. In my family we share magazine subscriptions and I sometimes find myself reading issues that are more than a year old by the time they make it to me and then languish in my reading pile before I get to them.
Interestingly, I had already started the recipe before I noticed I didn't have enough sugar. So I ended up substituting brown sugar for much of the recipe, and it came out terrifically. I would have thought the different consistencies of the sugars would have caused a problem, but it didn't seem to (at least in the cream cheese portion of the recipe, which is when I ran out of white sugar and used brown instead). Next time I plan to use brown sugar for the whole thing to see what happens.
Cream Cheese Brownies
- 4 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar (I used 1.75 cups granulated and 0.25 cups brown)
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla (LOVE the way that stuff smells)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar (I used all brown for this part)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs flour
- Microware chocolate & butter on high for 2 minutes
- Stir in sugar until well combined
- Add flour, eggs and vanilla and stir until combined
- Spread mixture into buttered 9x13 pan
- Using an electric mixer, whip the cream cheese until smooth
- Add sugar, egg and flour and mix until smooth
- Drop spoonfuls of cream cheese batter on top of chocolate and swirl into chocolate by running a knife back and forth across the pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes
YUMMY! These will cure anyone's misguided desire for those vapid brownies made from a box mix.
JOKE OF THE DAY (courtesy of Swapmeet Dave):
A woman explains to the doctor, "When I touch my arm, ouch, it hurts. When I touch my leg, ouch, it hurts. When I touch my head, ouch, it hurts. When I touch my chest, ouch, it hurts."
The doctor just shakes his head and asks, "You're a natural blonde, aren't you?"
The woman smiles and says, "Why, yes I am. How did you know?"
The doctor replies, "Because your finger is broken."