Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Stuff It

I have the most beautiful and talented stove. I was highly agitated when I found out how much The Carnivore spent on it, but now I don't see how I could ever live without it. It is a downdraft stove, which was crucial since it resides in the island in the middle of the kitchen (and an overhead vent would have been impossible since the ceiling is about 25 feet tall over the island). The stove is a Jenn-Air hybrid, with an electric convection oven and a gas cooktop. One side of the cooktop can be removed so that we can use the grill attachment when necessary.

I recently read the owner's manual and the cooking suggestions that came with the stove, and I found a recipe for stuffed pizzas, which are sort of like calzones except that they are cooked on the grill cooktop rather than baked in the oven. I have, of course, adapted the recipe quite a bit, and here is how I made it last night:

STUFFED PIZZAS

  • 4 garlic cloves, minced (I used fresh garlic cloves from my mother-in-law's garden and now I'm afraid I will never want to use store-bought cloves again)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh coarse ground black pepper
  • 1 package (10 oz) prepared pizza dough (must start making the dough from scratch)
  • 4 button mushrooms, sliced thinly
  • 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
  • 6 oz crumbled goat cheese
  • 1/4 cu marinated sun-dried tomatoes
  • 2 Tbs mix of chopped fresh basil & parsley
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  1. In a small bowl, combine garlic and olive oil.
  2. In a separate bowl, season spinach with salt & pepper.
  3. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness, forming a 12x16 inch rectangle. Cut dough in half, forming two 12x8 inch rectangles.
  4. Brush dough with garlic oil, leaving a 1/4 inch border all around.
  5. Divide spinach, cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, basil & parsley, and red pepper, and sprinkle on half of each rectangle.
  6. Stretch the uncovered portions of dough over fillings and press to close, pressing out excess air. Crimp edges with a fork to seal.
  7. Turn the pizzas, crimp again, and brush the tops (both sides) with garlic oil.
  8. Season grill grates and preheat on high for 5 minutes.
  9. Place pizzas on grill and cook for 10-15 minutes on low, turning and rotating.

I served these with a small amount of marinara sauce for dipping.

No comments: