Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Raising The Threat Level



Sometimes I fear I am raising a terrorist. Odd Toddler, who is getting closer and closer to the Terrible Twos all the time, steadfastly refused to take his 11:30am nap today. We have a routine around here, and we rarely deviate from it. He ate two YoBaby yogurts at 11:00, snuggled with me for a couple of minutes in the rocking chair, and then lay down in his crib to take his nap. Instead of sleeping though, he fussed. For an entire hour. I tried to work but couldn't. I finally gave up and got him out of bed.

Without an adequate amount of sleep, Odd Toddler is nearly impossible to get along with. Today was no exception. Since I couldn't work, I did the only thing I know to do when I feel stressed out. I cooked. Through endless temper tantrums (most of them from Odd Toddler), I made baked macaroni and cheese from scratch, steamed some broccoli and cauliflower, and made Toffee Bars.

The highlight of The Day That Would Never End was when Yolie brought over a bag stuffed with fresh mesclun from her garden. She read yesterday's blog about my salad dressing fixation and so she brought new inspiration to me. I vaguely remember reading something recently about which types of vinaigrette recipes to use for bitter greens and which to use for more simply-flavored lettuces but of course the gist of it was lost. Since Odd Toddler was too busy wrecking the house and pitching hissy fits, I didn't exactly find the time to go upstairs to my office and do an internet search.

I pulled down my 1968 Southern Living Salads cookbook and was chagrined to find not one single recipe for vinaigrette. A few other cookbooks had recipes that were far too complicated for what I had in mind, and many recipes called for ingredients I didn't have on hand. In frustration I nearly gave up. But then it occured to me to try developing my own vinaigrette recipe.

Mesclun is a mix of spicy, peppery, slightly bitter greens and so it probably would have done best with a simple drizzle of olive oil and the merest dash of vinegar, but that just isn't how I work. I fiddled and I tasted, and I added and I tasted, and I adjusted and I tasted, and on it went until I found myself with a delightfully bold dressing that would have been perfect on a baby lettuce mix with some crumbled goat cheese.

Of course, that isn't the kind of salad I made. Instead, I served an incredibly aggressive salad topped with an overpowering vinaigrette. Such is life.

SARAH'S LIFE OF THE PARTY VINAIGRETTE
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 4 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1 Tbs chopped cilantro
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt & pepper
  1. Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, garlic, hot sauce, honey and cilantro.
  2. Slowly whisk in the oil.
  3. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  4. Feed to toddler so that he will stop stomping his feet and wailing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Supreme Court to hear Goupil's appeal
The state Supreme Court has agreed to hear the appeal of a convicted rapist whose attorney claims had an unfair trial because the jury foreman posted remarks on the Internet that the defense contends were ...
Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!