Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Chickens Riding Shotgun


The Carnivore called me yesterday afternoon and said (honest to goodness), "I have a chicken riding shotgun." My brother works for The Carnivore now, and I automatically flinched, thinking, oh no, what has Little Brother done? But The Carnivore was not referring to him. He was instead referring to the actual chicken riding around with him in his truck. Apparently, there were chickens at a job site, and The Carnivore left his door open. After leaving the site and stopping at a few other places, a chicken walked out from under the passenger seat and climbed up to sit next to the gear shift. Unlike some men, my husband didn't just open the door and boot the chicken out onto the street. On the contrary, The Carnivore drove back clear across town, in the opposite direction of where he needed to be going, so that he could return the chicken to its family. He pulled into the driveway, opened the door, and the chicken just jumped right out and went back to its yard. Hours later, when The Carnivore got home and gathered his paperwork and coffee cup to bring inside, he found a little surprise in his floorboard. "Look what I found," he laughed, and handed me an egg.

If only groceries could materialize in his truck every day. Especially eggs.

I have still been on my quest for The Perfect Sunday Meal lately, and have tried my hand at huge Sunday lunches that require me to cook for two hours straight after church, but that allow me to then relax all afternoon and not have to cook supper. I've also dabbled with making a few double dishes for Saturday supper so that there are leftovers for Sunday, which means I only need to come up with a creative, quick and light lunch for after church. So far, this option is winning out for its ease and yum factor, for when else do I have a chance to try out some simple and small snack-like meals?

I lucked into an Everyday Italian episode on sandwiches a couple of Saturdays ago, and was tickled to find a recipe for an Italian Egg Sandwich. I'm a BIG FAN of fried egg sandwiches, but have grown mildly bored with the typical fried-egg-and-hot-sauce on whole wheat kind of thing. I was nearly gleeful over Giada's interpretation, involving marinara sauce and salty fresh Parmesan cheese. I'm beginning to think all my recipes need an Italian riff. The Carnivore and I loved this recipe, and his mother seemed to like it as well. I'll be putting this on heavy rotation.

The recipe used for the tomato sauce in this recipe is pretty stinking good as well, and can be frozen and used as the base for a more complicated spaghetti sauce with added herbs, chopped vegetables and/or meat (if you swing that way). In a time crunch though, any store-bought spaghetti sauce, Ragu or whatnot, can be used with decent enough results and will shorten the prep time considerably.

*****

ITALIAN EGG SANDWICH (adapted from Everyday Italian), makes one serving, which won't be nearly enough

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large egg (freshly laid in the floorboard of your truck, or purchased at the store, whatever floats your particular boat)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 slice rustic white bread, 1/2-inch thick (ciabatta works well)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 Tbs grated Parmesan (freshly grated - not the stuff you buy in a canister)
  • 1/4 cup warm tomato sauce, drained of excess liquid
  1. Heat oil in heavy small skillet over medium heat.
  2. Crack egg into skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  3. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes per side, until white is firm and yolk is almost set.
  4. Season again with a little more salt.
  5. Toast the bread until golden brown, and rub the garlic over the toast.
  6. Sprinkle Parmesan over toast. Spoon the drained marinara sauce over the Parmesan, and top with the egg. Serve open-faced.

6 comments:

yolie said...

Of course Preston drove back to reunite the chicken with her family...he didn't want a traumatized, raging chicken on his hands. By the way, Chuck really got a laugh out of this story, saying it only solidified his view of Preston after he saw him wallking down your dirt road in rain boots and shorts to retrieve the newspaper...country living at its best!

Cindy said...

Preston also wears rain boots and pjs to go get his newspapers

Sarah Beam said...

Those are fishing boots. Not rain boots. And you should see him in his underwear and his boots. Now THAT is funny.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, that story really cracked me up. Now, if that had happened to Jesse we would still have a chicken riding around with us with Jesse smiling in pride!

Cindy said...

WHEN it happened to Joe, he brought me the chicken (Belinda) and it's three little chicks. But I'm still giggling at the visual of my darling boy Jesse.

Linda B. said...

Sarah, I can't remember when I've laughed this much. Thanks.

Linda B.