Monday, July 04, 2016

Meal Plan • 7/4/16


You guys, there are times when making the meal plan is the hardest thing I do all week.  Our schedule, like most people, I'm sure, just isn't quite conducive to easy planning, and every time I think I have a rhythm in place that holds up relatively well to the whims of our weeks, something else comes up and throws me for a loop.  

You would think I would learn to just roll with it.  And I'm trying...

This week, we have a holiday, a house guest, a lot of work to squeeze into three days, and a quick weekend trip to the beach on the calendar, so rolling with it is really all I can do.

This recipe is a long-time family favorite, and it is always a lifesaver for us.  I threw together a double batch of it yesterday, knowing we would need the leftovers for today (it reheats like a dream).  Since we keep bell peppers and tomatoes in the freezer for emergencies, and we generally keep canned beans in the pantry, it is a rare day in which I cannot pull this off at the last minute.  There weren't canned beans available this time, but I had a long, lazy day on Sunday in which to simmer a big pot of dried beans all afternoon, so as usual, it was the perfect solution in the scramble of Oh crap, I wasn't planning on cooking, and we are out of everything, but I need something that will feed a larger-than-usual-crew for two days.  If you want to keep it super healthy, serve the recipe as-is.  If you want a little more fat and decadence, serve it with some grated cheese and/or a dollop of sour cream, and scoop it up with tortilla chips instead of a spoon.

This will be a busy day, and I won't get home until almost dinnertime, so an easy recipe is crucial.  This pasta dish comes together fast, and serving it with a salad will assuage my guilt over the high proportion of grain to vegetable in the recipe.

Only the kids and I will be home for dinner on Wednesday, and breakfast for dinner always seems fun to us.  I think we might spend the afternoon at the pool, come home for pancakes and grits, and then watch a movie.  Because why not?

THURSDAY: Spinach Lasagna, Garlic Toast
Don't scoff, but this lasagna recipe cooks in the crockpot.  I know it seems sacrilegious, but it's easy, it will cook while the kids and I are at the pool, and it is absolutely delicious.  The recipe calls for frozen spinach, but I like to use fresh, and I tend to double (and sometimes triple) the amount of spinach called for. 

FRIDAY and SATURDAY: The Kitchen is Closed
The kids and I are squeezing in a quick weekend trip down to Tybee Island with some friends.  We might eat nothing but peanut butter sandwiches, or we might eat at restaurants for every single meal.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

No comments: